Tuesday, November 15, 2011

An Incredible Halloween!

We had a fantastic Halloween this year. We were The Incredibles and The Omnidroid 10,000 Robot.



I usually start thinking about what we're going to be for Halloween the day after Halloween of the previous year. I had been wanting to do the Incredibles for quite a while, but we had a problem. We have two girls, not just one. So I started asking the girls who would like to be another character from the movie? I suggested one of them be Mirage or "E". I happen to think being Edna Mode would be hilarious! Neither of them were thrilled and so I suggested they could both be Violet. My oldest piped up, "How about the Robot?" I knew instantly it was going to be a FANTASTIC costume... and cheap! Which was good because I was on a pretty strict budget this year. I started searching for Homemade Incredibles Halloween Costumes and came up with some pretty great ideas and used some of my own as well.

To begin I hit up my favorite local thrift store Red, White and Blue. I needed red leggings, black underwear, red long sleeve shirts and black boots for each of us. I knew I wanted my costume to cover up a bit more than that so I was looking for shorts or a skirt. I hit the jackpot with a black swimsuit skirt. My daughter saw that I had a skirt and she wanted one as well, so I figured why not? I found a dance skirt for her. A few red shirts and some leggings later we were set.




 Next we needed some symbols. I had read about someone using felt and I thought it was a great idea! I found a free printable logo here. I did have to sign up to be able to print. I then cut it out, but it came out a lot smaller than I wanted. So I resized it and cut it bigger. I used Tacky Glue to fuse the pieces together, but I wasn't thrilled with how it turned out so I ended up sewing it together and it turned out fantastic!

Here it is small.

I think it turned out much better in the larger size!



I know you can't tell from the picture, but the outer edge of color is actually an orange/gold color. The i in the center is a much brighter yellow. 

I don't have a big fancy camera, so this is the best I could do. ;)


I knew I wanted our red workout shirts to be usable once we were done with Halloween so I bought this double sided fashion tape to stick on our logos and it worked fantastic! I used it to stick my shirt to my skirt so it wouldn't have a gap and so it would look like all one piece. I also used it to stick on my belt and Violet's, as well as her black ribbon collar. 



I didn't have time to sew her a collar like I did for Dash. I found an old red pajama shirt for him and I wasn't planning on taking the logo off so I could do whatever I wanted to it. I took off the original collar and used it as a pattern to sew on a new black one. It was a good thing my mom explained how to do it or I'd have wasted a little time. I found a picture diagram here for you. 

The other problem I ran into with Dash was boots. I just couldn't find any decent black boy boots that were in my budget and not just covers. But, I had an idea to cut a pair of black socks to be shoe covers. I got the idea from another person that used black shoes and just pulled up their socks. I took it a step further and put the sock over the shoe so it looked like a boot. I used an old pair of my friend's husband's black gold toe socks. I put the sock on over his shoe and figured out where to cut the tip. I turned it inside out and sewed it at a slightly rounded angle and voila! In order to make them a little less slippery I added some lines of hot glue across the bottom.  It turned out great! If I hadn't been finishing up the day of our party I'd have made them a little nicer so I could have kept them. We used them for our ward Trunk or Treat and then on Halloween. By the time it was all over he had a hole in the bottom of his socks. But, in a pinch they were perfect!

I also had to sew some black shorts for his costume. I just wasn't satisfied with anything I had found. I used my daughter's volleyball shorts as a guide. They were a little too big for my pattern size so I used a pair of ratty old leggings. Since I'm doing this tutorial after the fact I can't find the leggings, so you'll just have to imagine them. ;)
Please excuse the chocolate smears. I knew if I didn't just take a picture of them now I'd never get around to finishing this tutorial.



If I were to sew them over again I would make them a little longer. 

Here is the comparison with my daughter's shorts. See... way too big for a template. But I was able to use them to figure out the easiest way to sew them.



The fist line is where I cut my pattern, but if I were to do it over again I'd have made them a little longer. That was it! 

I think it turned out great! 





Now for Jack Jack.


I just used a pair of fuzzy bugs (foot pajamas) and used fabric paint to paint the bottom of his feet, sleeves and collar. Then taped on the logo. His was a piece of cake! 



Bob Parr and Elastagirl. 


My husband was not exactly comfortable wearing tights and a speedo, :) so he went as Bob Parr. He looks pretty Incredible to me.

This is me trying to look stretchy.


That's it for The Incredibles. Stay tuned for instructions on making The Robot. 



2 comments:

  1. Great tutorial! I'm sure you've had about 50 million people ask you how you made your costumes this year! I love that Blake is bustin' a move in that last shot. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOOOOOVE these costumes!!!! So creative!!

    ReplyDelete